It is THE go to supplement for gym junkies. We bust the myths of protein powder
Protein – What is it, and why is it so important?
Protein is the building block of muscle. During and after a strenuous session of exercise your body goes into hormonal overdrive, causing a rapid consumption of its stores of protein in order to grow and strengthen muscles. In order to capitalise on this growth and maximise the effectiveness of your workouts it is important to keep a high level of protein in your bloodstream. Lets have a closer look at what is protein, and what is the BEST protein powder for lean muscle gains!
It is commonly recommended that the ideal consumption of protein is 20 grams before and 20 grams after a workout. You can find this naturally in high protein foods such as chicken, steak, eggs or soy, but it is much more convenient (And a whole lot more appealing!) to get this from a protein shake
What Types of Protein Should I Take?
Not all protein powders are created equally!
Most powders fall into one of three categories; WPI (Whey Protein Isolate), WPC (Whey Protein Concentrate) and Casein.
- Good bang for buck source of protein
- Quick Absorbtion
- Higher percentage of lactose, fat & carbs than WPI
- WPI is WPC that has been filtered for increased quality
- More expensive
- Lower percentage of lactose, fat & carbs
- Very quick absorption
- Higher percentage of Protein & BCAAs (Branch Chain Amino Acids)
- The best protein powder for lean muscle
- Slow absorbing
- Best to have just before a fast (such as sleeping)
Personally, I use a WPI supplement pre and post workout, and a casein supplement around 20 minutes before bed.
Girls and Protein
Many members of the fairer sex are hesitant to take a protein supplement due to concerns it will make them ‘Bulk up’. This could not be further from the truth. Due to their low carb and fat content, protein shakes have a ‘leaning’ effect. They will build muscle, which will in turn increase your base metabolic rate. Many ‘diet shakes’ are simply WPI shakes in disguise!
Avoiding the hype – Finding the Best Protein Powder for Lean Muscle
There are literally thousands of protein brands. Many of these are inferior quality or from questionable manufacturers.
Time and time again, numerous comparison studies have put
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard as the best protein powder. One scoop of ON whey contains 23 grams of protein, only 2-3 grams of carbohydrates and 1.5 grams of fat. I personally think it is also the best tasting whey supplement available, coming in a range of over 20 flavours (Baskin Robbins, eat your heart out!)
The best price online is from Amazon, where you can pick up a 5lb / 2.27KG tub for under $55. This size tub will get out about 75 scoops.
Incoming search terms
- best lean protein powder
- best protein powder for lean muscle
- best protein for lean muscle
- protein powder to get lean
- WHAT ARE THE BEST LEAN PROTEIN POWDER
- Top 10 Lean Protein Powders
- the best lean protein powder
- which whey is best for lean muscle body
- best protein for leaning up
- best lean muscle protein powder